Physical activity refers to all the movement we carry out throughout the day, such as doing housework, bring in shopping, walking to work and doing exercise like playing a sport or going to the gym. Evidence continues to mount that being physically active can benefit both body and mind, as well as reducing the risk of many diseases. Here are nine proven benefits of regular physical activity.
- Helps maintain a healthy body weight
- Lowers blood pressure
- Decreases the risk of heart disease
- Lowers the risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reduces the risk of certain cancers
- Increases muscle strength and function
- Improves bone health and strength
- Helps to promote positive mental health
- Reduces the risk of dementia
1. Helps maintain a healthy body weight
Low physical activity can increase someone’s risk of becoming overweight or obese. 1 While exercising alone does not necessarily lead to weight loss, in combination with a balanced calorie-controlled diet, it can support successful weight reduction. In addition, there is evidence that regular physical activity can help maintain a healthy body weight over time.